1) Sum up what kind of person you are in 5 words.
Have-a-go community theologian
2) Which aspect of the church are you responsible to steer?
I am one of the Senior Ministers, with Dave. My main contribution is teaching and theology. I lead the preaching team, run midweek theology groups and am part of a womens’ home group. I’m also a listening ear to a clutch of young women leaders who are part of RDCC or have key roles in this community.
3) What are you passionate to see happen in this part of our church life?
I’m passionate about learning and growing. We have a team of preachers and ‘cook up’ sermons in small groups in the week. You cant preach here unless you are committed listen to what God says through others. Everybody’s contribution helps shape the message. I often prepare my sermons in the food bank. Its amazing the insight and willingness people have to share stories if you have time to listen. We also set ourselves the challenge to preach for just 25 minutes, giving people time to reflect and ask questions.
4) Which 5 words sum up the kind of church you want to see here in the Royal Docks?
Loving, Seeking, Generous, Honest, Serving
5) What’s your ‘real job’? What do you do in the working week?
I’m a senior lecturer at the University of Greenwich, working part-time now. I teach Sociology and enjoy being part of a community that loves learning. My academic background is theology and philosophy. Teaching has always been a passion. I used to work at Newham College and before that was a youth worker.
6) What’s the best thing about life in the Royal Docks?
Its potential, its people and watching the Thames at Lyle Park.